A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Friday, January 28, 2011

THE THREE FACES OF EVE AND FLYING MONKEYS

As a little girl that woman scared me and so did those mean monkeys.

  Watching the Wizard of Oz was a yearly event on the Saturday evening of Spring Break.  Me, my sisters and brother gathered in pajamas on the yellow flowered wrap around couch.  I felt safest in the turn of the sofa.  This was the farthest spot away from the TV and I was swaddled by Lucy and Lorraine. 

    My childhood smelled good.  Our hair held the fragrance of fresh coconut shampoo.  Oatmeal cookies drifted in the air, while New York strips sizzled through the breeze of the Florida room windows.

   Mother comes sweeping around the kitchen corner and sees my bare feet.  "Ivey Mae where are your slippers?"  Without bothering to answer I take off down the hall as fast as I can.  I'm already feeling concerned and don't want to be alone.  I know the monkey's are coming.   Slipping my shoes on from the end of my bed, I turn and run back towards the living room.  Passing dad, he smiles at me and says "Ivey your hair is drippin wet."
  I reply without glancing back "I know dad but I'm in a hurry." 
  His calm knowing voice replies "You're always in a hurry.  Slow down or you're gonna miss life."

  Everybody watched the Wizard of Oz. If you owned a TV it was on and tuned in.  The wicked witch could be heard shrieking from one house to the next through each neighbors window like a natural surround sound system.  No speakers necessary. I could hardly watch as the sand fell from the hour glass.  I scrunched up closer to Lucy, closed my eyes and held my breath.

   As an adult revisiting these movies I realize Eve was not crazy.  She was probly going through menopause, lived with a couch potato and next door to her mother.   Still, I'm afraid of the mean monkeys.  Oh and by the way, who says Trix are just for kids?  I will always be loyal to the rabbit and continue to hope he gets the damn box from those kids.