A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Monday, March 28, 2011

"CAN'T YOU READ?"

Pulling into the emergency entrance of the hospital there is nowhere to make a legal stop.  An ambulance is unloading and signs are posted all about warning not to park your vehicle at any point in the drive through.  Too bad.  This warranted rebellion of a sign.

   Throwing it in park I grab the keys.  "Embry, hurry open the back door."  As my son moves to open Mrs.Brown's door I jump out to help her inside.

   To my utter disbelief a grouchy guard approaches me with quick intent.  "Can't you read?" He is bellowing from across the pavement.  Looking down at our dear family friend who is in major distress I do not have the patience for a fool.

"Yes.  I can read.

   Can you see?  Can you think?  She is ninety eight crippled and turning blue because she can't breathe.  But yes I can read and the sign says 'No Stopping'.  It should state 'No stopping or an antipathetic jackass will come make a fool of himself in public'."

  I keep moving with my parents elderly friend who looks at me, winks and whispers "I knew I got the right girl to bring me to the hospital."