A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Thursday, November 3, 2011

ARE THOSE YOUR EYELASHES?

One evening in nineteen eighty five, I had to work.  This is what happened.

   Walking straight to the hot window and bright lights, another waitress saddles up beside me as we read the posted menu on the wall, in preparing for our night shift of waiting tables.  Both of us are young and working hard.  I smile and say hello.  She frowns.

   Focusing my attention back to the specials for tonight, I see her turn towards me from the corner of my eye, and feel Alicia take a swooping step closer.  She is not a relative, not even friendly towards me, just ignored me to my face, and suddenly, she is standing way too close. 
 Don't breathe on me unless I want you to.

   Then she demands.  "Are those your eyelashes?" with a more disgusted tone, I have never heard.

    Taken aback by her rude and imposing self, my wit through Auntie's bloodline saves me.

   Batting my eyes in slow motion, I turn to her and smile.  "Well, sweetie if they ain't mine whose are they?  Sometimes, I have to curl them to see where I am going."