A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Friday, June 24, 2011

DO ME FIRST

The handsome doctor looks at me and asks.  "Who wants to go first?"  I know I'm the mom and protective by nature, but don't linger in my answer.  "Me me.  Look, I'm always scared and she is looking forward to it." 

   We both turn to my tall, shy daughter and she smiles.

   Laughing I say  "See.  At four years old she preferred to watch only the second half of the Titanic.  You know where the people suffer mental anguish beyond imagination while the ship tilts back and forth teasing the passengers as they scream in horror facing the inescapable slow torturous death in the freezing ocean.  She is not squeamish.

   I have a sister who doesn't mind needles and being cut on.  Y'all need to have your head examined.  I can faint at the mere thought of it."

   "So I'm going first." 
Pointing to Hannah I add.  "She can savor the moment."