A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Monday, August 1, 2011

THE MATURITY DEAL

"Grandma!  Grandma!  Grandma!"  She calls me three times before I can even answer.  "Yes sugar baby I'm comin.  What's wrong?"  I ask.

   "This water ain't hot."

   Walking over I put my finger in the tub and it's not cold but it sure isn't hot, barely warm.  "What's the matter Grandma?  Is it all out?"

   After fifty seven years, two months, one week, one day and two hours, of being married, to the same man, I know why the water is tepid.  "Hop out baby girl, wrap up and wait just a minute.  Let me see if I can fix it."  My granddaughter starts to dry off as I head for the laundry room.

   Well, at least he is consistent right?  Every time he thinks the water bill is too high he turns off the hot water tank.  Relighting the gas pilot it ignites in a gust.  Standing here looking at the blue and orange flame my instant reaction is to dump out the ice in his beer cooler. 

   But, nah,  I'm almost seventy eight.  Glad that maturity deal kicked in.