A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Sunday, September 11, 2011

DON'T LET HER EYES GET TO YOU

The eyes really are the window to the soul, revealing a lofty glance at our essence.  Eyes consider themselves.  They watch the world through a varying light of day and again when the moon glows over deep dark shades of night.  

   Others behold us, when they look us in the eyes.

    I was barely five years old, freckle faced and interested the first time I heard about my eyes. This is what happened.

   Mother wants all of us children to be musically inclined.  She asks dad to buy a piano and of course he does.  The piano arrives in a huge box, smelling of new pressed cardboard and excitement.  Mother has to open both of the front doors, to get it in.  I watch from the above balcony in delight.  Cool, a piano.  

   The following Tuesday afternoon we have to get dressed up after school.  Not cool.  Then me and my sisters Lucy and Lorraine pile in the green Buick, for the ride to A House of Melody.

  All three of us will be taking privately tutored piano and voice lessons.

   Sitting side by side in the green Buick our legs look the same all brown as berries donning white bobby socks and clean Maryjane patent leather shoes, may as well be going to Sunday school.  Not sure why Mother has us so gussied up, oh well. 

   Driving the tree lined streets of Coral Gables we soon arrive at the pretty brick building then follow Mother inside and quietly watch as she greets the owner.  After a few moments of chat my sisters go off with their teachers and Mother waits with me because my music instructor is still with a student.

   Trying my best to sit still and wait patiently, (fifty years later still not my strong suit) I hear a guitar strumming down the hall  Nice.

   Soon, a lovely woman in a flowing pastel dress and piled high blonde hair appears.  Soft spoken and kind, my Mother introduces me.

  " Miss. Elizabeth please meet my daughter Ivey Mae."  The young woman gently smiles in return and reaches to take my hand.

   "Hello Ivey Mae.  How old are you?" she asks.

    "I am five."  I say in return.   

   Saying nothing else, she stares at me and starts to smile bigger, as I watch her in the same.   Then I hear Mother say,

   "Don't let her eyes get to you."