A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

A LTTLE BIT OF IVEY

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

SOME DECISIONS ARE EASIER THAN OTHERS

Today a wonderful friend from my childhood came to visit.  We lived seven houses apart as children.  Our mothers were instant friends.  Good people.  Nice family.  

   Judy visits from time to time when she flies in from wherever her jet setting single life takes her.  No roots.  No pets.  No husband.  Yet, we have exact common interests in life.  Funny.

   This year Judy has brought along her second cousin.  Jane also went to school with us so it was a blast catching up.  It is apparent right away there is more than meets the eye with Judy and Jane traveling together.  Like the old folks say they are surely shackin up.

   To make things interesting my two life long friends are very religious.  Extremely so.  But this particular evening they are not wearing their typical conservative clothing.  Instead opting for shorts, tank tops and fresh Key Largo suntans.

   Chase pops another beer can and I am surprised when my friend of thirty seven years asked him if he has any tequila.  I have never seen her drink.

  As the evening grows older I am considering this situation with much amusement.  Apparently Judy has thrown all caution to the wind.  I know one thing.  She sure seems happy and good for her.

   Festive colorful lanterns give off a sensual glow and the moon is so full and bright, it allures me while barbecue chicken sizzles in the air.  It smells really good in our back yard.    

   "OK guys it is time to eat.  The vittles are done."  I tell my guests and we gather along the picnic table.  Scorching Florida heat is still at bay and a slight breeze cools this charming night.

     Jane excuses herself for the restroom as I go around to everybody at the table.   I want to know what they would like to drink with dinner.  I offer wine, ice tea, root beer and lemonade.    

     Judy gets this funny look on her face as I pour my twins a tall glass of cold ice tea and says

 "You make the best ice tea!  You sweeten it right?"

  "Yes.   With real sugar while it is still warm.  That's why it's so good, do you want a glass?" I ask while leaning towards her with the pitcher.

   "Oh, well, yes I do" she nervously answers at the same time looking back over her shoulder towards the house.  My friend continues.

   "But I probably better not."

   Puzzled I look at her and ask "Why not?"

   Peering in the direction of the back patio then towards me again she lowers her voice and says "It is so against our religion, caffeine and all that.  Jane will get upset if I drink it."

   By her expression she is dead serious.  So I stifle my laugh and nod while pouring her glass full of lemonade instead.

   But, I will tell you what.  There are many choices in life that can be difficult and time worthy.  Some taking months and perhaps years of careful consideration.  This here is not one of them. 

   It is against her religion to have sex with the same gender but this doesn't upset Jane.  It is against her religion to be intimate with her cousin.  Again okie dokie with Jane.  It is against her religion to wear revealing clothes and bathing suits as she and Jane have gorgeous tans in all the wrong places.  And it against her religion to drink alcohol while toasting our friendship with a shot.

 At this point I say go ahead and drink the ice tea.